"Birds make great sky-circles
of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling,
they are given wings."

-Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks)

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Progress

It's amazing what can happen in a week. I've been taking antibiodics and they have done their job. I feel so much better- back to where I was last Wednesday. The tissue also looks much better. I got the results back from my culture and it turns out it was positive for yeast. So to be on the safe side I am going back on Friday to get another culture and make sure it has completely gone away. I don't want anymore setbacks.

Physical therapy went really well today. Sitting has been difficult, but it just feels like my muscles are so incredibly tense and tight. And when we do vaginal and rectal release, I do notice a huge difference week to week, and especially since before my hip surgery. So I think we're finally getting somewhere and I'll just continue to be patient. My hip is still very weak, but I am trying my best to get better before the fall tennis season so I can play doubles.

Right now I have 4 or 5 stretches that I have to start doing twice a day. I'm also going back to using the dilators and have stretches to do while I'm using them every other day.

Also, if you don't know already, this Friday night there is a primetime special about vulvodynia. I have no idea what they are going to talk about, but I'm sure it will be interesting. One of the physical therapists talking is from Beyond Basics in NYC where I go every week. I've pasted the information below.

"For those interested in learning more about vulvodynia and sexual pain, 20/20 will be airing a segment at 10 p.m. EST, Aug. 7

ABC News' Chief Medical Editor, Dr. Timothy Johnson, will discuss the diagnosis and treatment of sexual pain disorders and vulvodynia with Andrew Goldstein, MD, and Amy Stein, MPT. Dr. Goldstein is the director for the Center for Vulvovaginal Disorders in Washington, DC, and New York City. Ms. Stein, is a New York-based physical therapist, who specializes in the treatment of pelvic and urogynecological pain disorders.

The segment will also feature the stories of two women with sexual pain, as well as an interview with Christin Veasley, NVA's associate executive director, and her husband Melvin. We have worked closely with the National Vulvodynia Association and they are a wonderful organization.

For more, visit http://abcnews.go.com/2020/
or visit: http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/default.aspx."

3 comments:

Karla said...

i saw that they were doing a show on this and was excited.
glad to hear you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamra,

We're anxiously waiting for some updates! Hope you are doing fine and hope all is well.

Minnie

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your story! I am a research in vulvar vestibulitis, we are trying to find answers and spread the word to GYNS.

Hang in there!