"Birds make great sky-circles
of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling,
they are given wings."

-Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks)

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bump in the road

Again, I am sorry about the lack of updates. Things have been pretty crazy recently. While I was dealing with the increased pain in my hip, I also got sick. It is a very long story that's not relevant to this site, but the short version is I went on antibiotics for tonsillitis, and then 5 days later had to go to the emergency room because they swelled up more, hurt a lot, and I was having difficulty breathing. Turns out they were starting to close my air passageway. I spent a week at home on steroids and a stronger antibiotic. Finally I am off medication and can put it behind me. The good news is I was forced to take a week off from life and spent the time with my family, sleeping on our couch downstairs. It also taught me the importance of not running myself down. I have a lot on my plate at school and it piles up. It literally took two doctors and an ER visit to force me to stop and relax.

The funny part of this story is that the steroids I was on for the tonsillitis have helped my hip calm down even more. I also felt that the week off from all my obligations has made me a lot healthier. Now the problem is I'm trying to catch up on everything that I missed. And, I will be getting my tonsils out in November, which is a surgery that I need to be home for two whole weeks. Luckily my professors are very understanding, I just need to make it through this year so I can graduate.

As far as my progress is going- I went to physical therapy last week and the difference in results was incredible. I'm having a much easier time sitting, and this time when I got my period, I didn't have any of the usual painful symptoms that escalate everything. There has been definite improvement. Now I am allowed to go back on the elliptical about three times a week, slowly, for about 15 minutes. I am also supposed to start up the dilators again, starting from the smallest size, and doing my hip stretches while using them. This I will start in a few days once I feel completely recovered.

Other than that, life in general has been pretty great. I feel like I'm on an upward swing. I'm also trying to appreciate every moment. If you want an inspirational song- check out Terra Naomi's, "Say it's Possible." It's good stuff. More exciting is I have emailed her and she is now coming to school to perform a benefit concert on November 2nd!

No comments: