"Birds make great sky-circles
of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling,
they are given wings."

-Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks)

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Elation

I played tennis yesterday for the first time in over a year.
I've been running and lifting and pushing my body to remember what it used to be.
The elation is indescribable.
I am smiling, on average, 250% more per day.
I feel the urgent need to run out into a big open field, throw my hands up, and spin around in the rain, the coolness of each drop matched with this burning spirit.

For the first time since this all started, there is no anticipation of another surgery or another big step. No more knocking me down before I've stood up again. This is it.

I am slowly reclaiming myself back.

2 comments:

annie said...

this is such a fantastic post. congratulations to you. i am so happy for you.

Sarah said...

That is wonderful. I truly wish you continued moments of elation!