"Birds make great sky-circles
of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling,
they are given wings."

-Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks)

Friday, March 20, 2009

The Seach for Hip Surgeons

It's been awhile since my cortisone injection, and while I have noticed some improvement in the pain of my left hip, I still have vulvar pain and great difficulty sitting down for long periods of time. My frustrations have been building up and so I called Dr. Cooke and obtained three hip surgeon referrals. Of course, none of them accept my insurance, but they specialize in youth and sports related hip tears, so we will probably go out of network. They are all from the Hospital for Special Surgery and apparently that is the place to go.

I haven't made an appointment yet, but I'm sure today I will have to figure out if I'm waiting until May for the end of the tennis season, or if I want the surgery sooner than that. While I'm making big decisions, I found the following information on one of the doctor's websites which just made my eyes light up. It sounds just like me!

3. How does a labral tear present?

Labral tears most commonly result in "groin" pain. Most patients describe the pain as a sharp pain that is very deep. It tends to hurt more with increased activity, and is very easy to reproduce with high degrees of flexion and internal rotation of the hip joint. Prolonged periods of sitting will result in pain for patients with a condition known as femoroacetabular impingement.

Oftentimes, patients do not complain of a constant pain in the joint, but rather one that comes and goes without warning. Pain is usually located in the anterior region of the hip (groin area).

Less commonly, patients present with posterior (buttock area) or lateral (outside of the hip) pain.

Some complain of pain that wakes them up at night, or pain referred down the leg. These two symptoms tend to be more common in those with arthritis of the hip.

4. Why is it painful?

Patients with labral tear complain of hip pain because the labrum has nerve endings that can stimulate pain fibers, causing pain sensation in the hip region.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. I have an appointment for a corisone injection, and my doctor said she will give me valium before. Does that mean she will give it to me intravenously? I am ever so anxious, being that I am highly allergic to shots, especially when we are discussing a huge shot in the hip area. Hope you feel better fast!

Tamra said...

I received the valium intravenously, so I would assume the same will happen to you. I understand your anxiety- I recommend eating a big meal before the injection, hydrating, and NOT looking at the needle or watch the procedure. Let me know how it goes and if there's anything else I can do to help!

Anonymous said...

No worries! I will NOT look at the needle, because past experiences had me faint even without looking at the needles. But actually, BIG worries! How did you feel when you were given the valium? All doozy? I thought it would pretty much knock me out...you sound like you were totally awake! My doctor told me she would give me valium...and that she would take a valium too. I told her to take a double dosage! Thanks!

Tamra said...

Actually, I apologize- I don't believe I received valium- just an anesthesia intravenously. They asked me if I was okay with needles- so I guess they didn't feel the need to give me anything else. So yes, I was fully awake and functioning during the injection. I just focused my mind on something else.

Anonymous said...

I assume you mean she gave you local anesthesia through IV...not in your arm? If it was in your arm it must have been valium. No?

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamara! Hope you're feeling good! I was wondering whether you have found a competent hip surgeon. My doctor recommended surgery for a labral tear in my hip and I am in excruciating pain. Could you please post your choice of surgeons when you get a chance? Thank you!

SuperHipChick said...

FAI info. and related issues on my blog.
Good Luck,
SHC