"Birds make great sky-circles
of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling,
they are given wings."

-Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks)

Monday, July 13, 2009

Beginning of PT, tape, and core stabilization

I apologize for the influx of posts all of a sudden- but I figured this information was pretty relevant, so bear with me. It's been especially great being in contact with so many of you who are going through almost the exact same thing as me. It's comforting just waking up in the morning and knowing I'm not doing this alone.

Today I started my PT with Stacey in NYC (again, doing this once a week and going to regular PT three times a week.) Again, we worked on release, as well as sitting correctly. I really have to focus on things as small as sitting. Number one- no crossing my legs. Number two- I have to focus on moving my pelvis down, and not crunching it up. To help with all of this, I got taped up today, which you can see above. Just imagine the tape running down even lower. It's very tight and really restricts my movement. It forces me to sit up correctly, as well as keep my pelvis pointed downward. I'm going to try and get taped up everytime I go to PT, so hopefully wearing it 4 times a week will help.

After all of this, I now have 3 core stabilization exercises to work on. They are a bit difficult to write out so if you would like to know more, just leave a comment and I'll do my best to explain.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tamra, as I said before, I find your posts really inspiring! I know we didn't chat much at CHS, but I do hope the best for you and if you're ever in Philly again, I'll be sure to help you find your doctor and we can get coffee or something.

I showed my friend your blog because she's been having some pains and I told her it could be hip related. She just had an MRI and they found that it is pelvic related. So your blog is helping a lot of people!

Tamra said...

Hey Sam,

That really made my day- I'd love to catch up sometime. And I'm so glad your friend found out some information. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Tamra

j said...

Hi! I'm in a similar(ish) situation as you and starting PT probably this week as well. I'd like to know how it's working for you.

kate