"Birds make great sky-circles
of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling,
they are given wings."

-Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks)

Monday, July 13, 2009

Of Lidocaine patches, PT, and mountains

I just wanted to take a moment and really commend The Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. These people really know how to run their hospital. I can get in touch with my surgeon at any time, can get prescriptions, notes, etc. They are fast, efficient, and just really on top of their game.

Stacey recommended I start using Lidocaine patches, so sitting can be less painful. I just got the prescription filled and have worn them twice. You can wear up to three patches on the area for 12 hours on and then 12 hours off. So far I think they do work and provide some relief. I'm using two right now and have cut each in half to cover more area. I'm riding on the train today to do PT, so we'll see how well they work then.

I also am able to start the elliptical and stair master at my regular PT now. Going on the stair master last week gave me such motivation. If I closed my eyes, I could have imagined I was just hiking up a mountain and everything was fine again. I've been talking to some people recently and have discovered why I love mountains so much. They are a huge undertaking, an intense physical challenge, however there's a very straight forward way of overcoming this challenge. Sure you can go off the trail and use advanced mountaineering skills, but when it comes down to it, you know you just have to climb up and make it to the top. And there's no better feeling once you summit and have accomplished the long hours of climbing. And there's no better feeling once you have returned down the mountain and stare up at the physical representation of your efforts, standing tall and still right in front of you. I've had to deal with so many of my own physical challenges in the past few years, and there hasn't been a clear way to overcome them- I can't see the way up, which is why I get so frustrated. This is the first time in a long time I think the fog is finally lifting and I'm beginning to see the trail.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.