"Birds make great sky-circles
of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling,
they are given wings."

-Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks)

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tree Dance

Whenever the weight is too much,
when I am overflowing
with ghosts and emotions,
I sit in the park to watch the trees.

Dark against a setting sky,
their melodic rhythm in the wind
slowly settles my mind
and I drift to some other place.

Back and forth they rock,
graceful and rooted, the wind reminding them to sway
and me to breathe.

But as the moon rises
over their outstretched branches,
casting light upon their dance,
I no longer need breath.

O moon, shine upon this darkened soul.
O trees, calm this unsettled heart.
Fix me.
Heal me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you write this, Tamra? Beautiful.

Love. -Kristen