"Birds make great sky-circles
of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling,
they are given wings."

-Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks)

Monday, April 28, 2008

Physical Therapy

So today was my first day of physical therapy, more specifically pelvic floor therapy. I went with a friend to an office about 20 minutes away from school. Going in, I had little expectations, probably because I had no idea what to expect. I think I have purposefully researched very little about physical therapy so I wasn't disappointed. 

First of all, I'll ask the stupid question, what does one wear to vagina physical therapy?? I ended up going in my tennis gear because I went straight from hitting. Second of all, I had hoped that I'd be in my own little room so I wasn't going to be sitting next to some football player who tore his knee. Although that would have been quite the experience. So my physical therapist comes out and takes me into a small room and we go over my entire history with vulvar vestibulitis. I swear, it would have made both our lives easier if I had just given her this blog. But it's alright, I've gotten rather good at recounting what has happened in a short period of time. 

After our little chat, she gave me a sensor that I had to insert that was going to test my pelvic floor muscles and see how tense they are and when they contract. I couldn't find an exact picture, but this one seems pretty accurate. http://www.biolifedynamics.com/xcel-01.gif
So, I inserted the bottom part which then hooked up to a laptop. Then we tested my rest rate of my pelvic floor muscles- they were about 3 (Don't ask me what this number means) and they are supposed to be at 1. But my therapist said they weren't as high as she's seen. Then, I did three exercises where I squeezed my muscles for ten seconds and then relaxed them.

I now have three different exercises I'm supposed to do twice a day, as well as a breathing method I'm supposed to practice. Although I said I went in with no expectations, I guess I was hoping my pelvic muscles would be really bad and that would be the root of all my problems. But, I talked with my therapist and she said it seemed like having vulvar vestibulitis was causing my muscles to tense since I was expecting pain. It wasn't that my muscles were bad to begin with and causing the vulvar vestibulitis. So, even after doing all these exercises, it's only going to help me DEAL with VVS and not help SOLVE the actual problem. And that's just frustrating. But on a positive note, although it hurt like hell to get the sensor in and out, the pain didn't last longer than 10 minutes afterwards. A month ago, I would probably be in tremendous pain the rest of the day. So, small steps, small steps. I go back for the next three Mondays before I leave for Africa, so we will wait and see if I improve. 

No comments: