"Birds make great sky-circles
of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling,
they are given wings."

-Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks)

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Second Set and still fighting

This will have to be a short update because I have a really busy day ahead of me. I'm a little confused right now because it still hurts the same to insert and apply my two creams, yet I'm not noticing as much daily pain anymore. Am I finally getting better? Or am I so distracted on a daily basis that I have learned how to forget about the pain?

I would like to think that I'm getting better. After my tennis match yesterday, I realized I've been fighting VVS the same way I play my tennis matches. Yesterday I lost the first set 6-4 and came back to win the next two 7-5 and 6-1. In my whole tennis career, I've lost one match that I brought to three sets. My dad thinks its because my mental game is stronger than anyone he knows. Anyway, I feel like the beginning 8 months of having VVS was my first set. I was frustrated, upset, and my head wasn't in the right place. Lately I've started the second set and have slowly been fighting my way to bring it to a third set. I have my first physical therapy appointment on Monday. I'm very nervous because I have no idea what to expect or what I'm going to do. If I'm still in so much pain applying my creams, how am I going to get through therapy right now?

Some people have told me that continually saying I am "fighting" VVS and that this is my "battle" is not the best way to view it. They advise to take a more peaceful approach. However, I believe that being in this mindset, just like I am in a tennis match, has helped me tremendously over the past couple of weeks. 

In other news, I'm giving my activism presentation on VVS to my class tonight. It's going to be a little different than the WILL presentation because these are people who don't know me too well. Hopefully they learn something new and spread their knowledge until another girl who is going through the period of misdiagnosis realizes she's not alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamra,

I'm in your politics of sexuality class, and I just wanted to let you know that I thought your presentation tonight was amazing. I read through some of your blogs, and I can't imagine having to go through some of those things. I have so much respect for you for being able to actually share all of these things and do whatever you can to help others.

Anonymous said...

hi tamra - good luck at pysiotherapy. if you have any questions on what to expect u can email me at sunshinegirl199@yahoo.ca.
also some pysiotherapists in this field are better than others...im not sure where you live but might be able to help you out with that.

Anonymous said...

There is a new pelvic pain blog. It is www.pelvicpainmatters.com

Please check it out. I think you'll find it helpful.